> On Aug 25, 2022, at 4:10 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
> [..]
>> It seems there is a lot of programs that cannot run on 8086...
>
> Those should be excluded in 8086 installs, but as far as
> I remember, at least one of the installers already pays
> attention to that. Mateusz and Jerome might know more :-)

Since a user is most likely not going to have either a CD or USB drive in a
system that is not at least a 386, the CD and USB media will install programs
that require s 386. Those also boot the 32bit kernel.

The Floppy Edition boots the 16bit kernel. It installs based on hardware
capabilities. At present, you must tell it to limit its install to only 8086,
186 or 286 machines. Otherwise, it will assume at least a 386 level of support.
Eventually when I have the time (and feel like it), I will get around to
updating the CPU detection and auto detection of sub-386 machines.