On Thu, 25 Aug 2022 03:41:30 -0400
Paul Dufresne via Freedos-devel <freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
wrote:

> While thinking about 64k limit for edit... I come to think about 16
> bits and 32 bits programs...
>
> Why there is no two separate versions of FreeDOS, one for 16 bits
> CPUs (8086) and one for 32 bits CPU (386+)?
>
> It seems there is a lot of programs that cannot run on 8086... and
> others that could take advantage of 32 bits compilation.
>
> Does it should not suggest to have two separate versions foir this
> relatively different needs?

Even though it can run on XTs, FreeDOS targets newer hardware including
hardware beyond the DOS era. It does a great job at that. But in it's
current state, I don't see any point in using it with an XT. You're
better off using DOS 3.x or CP/M and friends. If you are looking for an
OS that can do more on an XT I would suggest ELKS
(https://github.com/jbruchon/ELKS).

Besides the 64k limit, FreeDOS Edit is horrible to use on an XT.
Compared to norton editor or edit.com, the drawing of the interface
is so slow you can see it happening.

--
WWW: https://metalpunks.info
GPG: C90CAB7122AC1231