Hi,

On 25 Aug 2022, at 13:50, Bitácora de Javier Gutiérrez Chamorro wrote:

> I do not think it will be that easy. It is probably hitting the 16 unsigned
> int range, and also accounting that large memory model only allows to
> allocate blocks of up to 64K (you are looking for huge).

yes, or it would need a different data structure, not a simple array for the
text.

Like:
Gap buffer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_buffer
Rope: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_(data_structure)
Piece Table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piece_table

More on the topic:
https://www.texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DesigningTextEditors

I agree, that is major work. But there are many good (and free) text editors
available for DOS that can edit large text.

"edit.exe" is a simple and limited tool, but good enough for the intended use
case.

Greetings

Carsten