On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 2:38 PM Robert Riebisch <r...@bttr-software.de> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> > The Creative Commons have identified a "CC-0" ("Creative Commons
> > Zero") that indicates "no rights reserved" that does the same thing.
> > https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/
>
> May I apply CC0 to computer software? If so, is there a recommended
> implementation?
> https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/CC0_FAQ#May_I_apply_CC0_to_computer_software.3F_If_so.2C_is_there_a_recommended_implementation.3F

The Open Source Initiative also says this (2017) about public domain:

https://opensource.org/node/878

[..]
> Plenty of people assume that public domain software must be open
> source. While it may be free software within your specific context, it
> is incorrect to treat public domain software as open source or indeed as
> globally free software. That’s not a legal opinion (I’m not a lawyer
> so only entitled to layman’s opinions) but rather an observation that
> an open source user or developer cannot safely include public domain
> source code in a project.

[..]
> “Public Domain” means software (or indeed anything else that could
> be copyrighted) that is not restricted by copyright. It may be this way
> because the copyright has expired, or because the person entitled to
> control the copyright has disclaimed that right. Disclaiming copyright
> is only possible in some countries, and copyright expiration happens
> at different times in different jurisdictions (and usually after such
> a long time as to be irrelevant for software). As a consequence, it’s
> impossible to make a globally applicable statement that a certain piece
> of software is in the public domain.
[..]

Best to use a recognized open source license, instead of trying to
declare it as "public domain." I linked to several popular open source
licenses in my other email, such as MIT or BSD.

Jim