On Tue, Oct 25, 2022, 6:05 AM tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> Sorry,
>
> I posted this under the wrong topic.
>
> so:
>
> when downloading https://github.com/FDOS/kernel via
>
> [code] downnload ZIP
>
> the downloaded kernel-master\country directory is empty, and the
> project does not build.

This is a GitHub issue, country and other self contained programs are
actually their own repository and included within the kernel as a git
submodule.  Unfortunately GitHub's automatic zip archives do not
recursively include submodule source.

> correcting for this, the the boooting kernel goes as far as

> FreeDOS boot FAT kernel GO!
>
> and halts.
>

>  the compiler is watcom C
>
> Tom
> .

I'm looking into this, seems to be some sort of memory corruption.  On my
test VirtualBox vm it works fine, on my laptop I get a halt but much later
than you, where FreeCom is loading.  The gcc compiled kernel works in all
my tests.  Testing on my laptop is a pain as it's my primary computer and I
have to go into UEFI enable/disable BIOS boot for each test and then boot
back into my primary OS to make changes and repeat.  I am going to try and
see if I can replicate the boot issue on one of my older computers this
weekend so I can find and fix the problem quicker.

 I did try different versions of Open Watcom and it didn't make a
difference.

Does it make a difference on your computer if the kernel is compiled for
386+ vs 86+  ?  Was this on real computer or virtual?

 I have some ideas where the issue is but always welcome additional
information to help narrow the problem.

Thank you for reporting it.

Jeremy