Depends on where you want to start.  Do you want to learn an
API/library like Allegro or DOjS and start "extending system" sooner?
Or would you rather learn how to write against the VGA or VESA
standards or other hardware standards?  If the latter, then PCGPE
would be helpful (http://qzx.com/pc-gpe/), as would a real machine,
DOSBOX or VM setup for DOS would be helpful.  But having some info on
the development stack you've chosen would be helpful to point you in
the right direction.