Hello FreeDOS people,

I want to share some information about the progress I made on updating Ranish
Partition Manager for >8Gb disk support. As of version 2.90.13 I am at a stage
where I have implemented all features I set out to do for the partition manager
sub-component PART.EXE.

In the next time I will shift the focus to bug hunting and the boot loader and
boot manager components.

While this is alpha quality software I would be happy to get some feedback from
the community to find and eliminate the (hopefully not so many) bugs, as I am
not able to test it with many System / BIOS combinations (do not use it on a
production system).

The software can be downloaded from:
https://codeberg.org/boeckmann/ranish/releases

Here is a summary of the things I already did:

 * Ported to Open Watcom C and Netwide Assembler (with the help of user ecm of
bttr forum).
 * Implemented LBA disk access for partition manager PART.EXE using extended
INT 13H functions.
 * Enabled the partition manager to handle partitions of up to 2 TiB in size.
 * Re-implemented formatting of FAT-12/16/32 filesystems, hopefully in
conformance with Microsoft FAT implementations.
 * Adding code to hold the volume label files in sync with the corresponding
boot record labels.
 * Automatically set LBA / non-LBA partitions types for FAT and extended
partitions.
 * Modified GUI to handle larger sector numbers.
 * Usual bug fixing (see CHANGELOG.MD) for details.

What still has to be done:

 * The IPLs and advanced boot manager have to be LBA-enabled.
 * Overhaul command line interface.
 * Minor GUI clean up.
 * Bringing documentation up to date.
 * Make some partitioning (video) tutorials?!?

What (I) will propably not do:

 * A major overhaul of the user interface and the "strange" editing of extended
partitions.
 * Like the original version it is still restricted to sector sizes of 512
bytes, and this propably will not change.

Finally I would like to thank Fritz Müller for the testing.

Greetings, Bernd