On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 11:37 AM <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Other possible new packages to consider for inclusion (or at least watch):
[SNIP]

> GW-BASIC - MIT License, Microsoft’s original 1983 version
> https://github.com/microsoft/GW-BASIC

tkchia has a better branch that should be easier to compile and will
be more complete.
https://github.com/tkchia/GW-BASIC

> DOSLINUX - GPLv3, DOS Subsystem for Linux
> Run real linux programs under DOS.
> Why? IDK. (requires someone to compile)
> https://github.com/haileys/doslinux

I also have some notes on how to build.  I integrated those steps into
the repo below.
https://sites.google.com/view/lpsantil/home/dos-subsystem-for-linux-on-a-hp-t5745

The repo below should make it easier to build a package.
https://github.com/lpsantil/doslinux

In terms of purpose, DOSLINUX is a lot like the VFAT Linuxes from 20
years ago BasicLinux (https://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/) and Dragon
Linux (https://web.archive.org/web/20010401131118/http://dragonlinux.org/)
and phatlinux
(https://web.archive.org/web/20040901031901/http://phatlinux.com/).
An easy way to install and boot Linux without having to understand the
nuances of Linux installation. DOSLINUX does substitute LILO for it's
own dsl Linux loader, and, can be used with a modern version of
busybox instead of ancient versions of GNU tools.  Unlike other
distros, it's intended to return to DOS once a command is complete.
However, if you pass dsl an interactive command, like /bin/sh, it will
continue to run.  I can see potential uses for making an improved,
single-reboot DOS installer (format, partition, install on first
boot!), gaining access to useful hardware or software for which DOS
has no software (I'm looking at you USB 3.0).

One other command that might be interesting to add to FreeDOS is the
fast compressor/decompressor LZ4.