Hi all,

I spent a few minutes looking at 386MAX.

Unfortunately, it is going to take at least a some work by someone (not me)
before it could even be considered for inclusion.

First, it cannot even be run at present. The precompiled executables and even
diskette versions are present along with the sources. However, the executables
must be installed by it’s setup program which writes an user/serial number into
the executables. Those executables will not run without that being done. The
setup program (and source) are present as well. However apparently, serial
numbers are not pre-generated and were created when producing the media. So,
that is all the further I got during testing.

Someone who has access to old MS C and Assemblers laying around will need to
work on this to get it functional. Thankfully, it looks like there are numerous
batch files to automate the building process.  It is a large codebase and
porting it to open source compilers would take someone a very long time. Again,
neither will be done be me.

As far as I could tell in my limited testing, the following would need done…

1) Update Company/License/Copyright information to reflect the project was
released to the public under GNUv3 by the author.
2) Remove or at least disable the user/serial number stuff in the executables.
3) Possibly, forego the requirement of using the setup program.

Since 386 is large, complicated and can be used under DOS with or without
windows, it may be best that if we ever include a package for it, that the
package binaries include the installer. This would permit installing the
program and having it perform all the required steps based on the end users
system.

Any volunteers?

:-)

Jerome