On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 at 00:13, Rugxulo via Freedos-devel
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I have never used Desqview nor Desqview/X

So try them! They are easy to find these days.

As a general rule, it is unwise to try to argue based on stuff you've
never tried.

>  (DJGPP v1 SDK)

What does DV have to do with DJGPP?

>  I can't remember if they used a FreeDOS boot
> disk or not.

As a Linux, I doubt it. Why would it?

> They claimed networking and LFNs.

It's a form of Linux. LFNs are a DOS feature. I don't see the connection.

> Most of the work on the 1.x (16-bit) versions of OS/2 was done by
> Microsoft. Supposedly their 32-bit "portable rewrite" is what became
> NT. (However, Win95 could still barely run atop a 386 with 4 MB of
> RAM, so it stuck around on the consumer side.)

I benchmarked it. It ran faster than WfWg 3.11.

> Windows 3.0 and Windows NT 3.1 both had many DOS bugs that were only
> fixed later.

Er, so. Both are first releases. NT 3.1 isn't based on DOS, doesn't
contain DOS, and can't run DOS. VMs for PCs were nearly a decade away.
So I don't see the link here.

> James Gosling was familiar with UCSD Pascal (based upon ETH Zurich's
> Pascal P sources) which also used pseudo code. (P4 has been ported to
> DOS, so has its successor P5.)

What are "P4" and "P5" here?

To me those mean Pentium 4 and the original Pentium architecture.

> Long story short: I don't think FreeDOS not having a DOSshell clone is
> a significant omission. Nobody will write the "program switcher" code
> (too complex), and we already have file managers. So I don't see what
> else it would offer.

Again, you are conflating 3 different things and adding 1 + 1 + 1 and
getting 4. *Please* stop. It's driving me crazy. :-(

My argument, which you are grossly misrepresenting, is this:

1. DOSshell provided a useful facility: a menu-driven app launcher.

I think FreeDOS should have a simple one that runs on bare metal in
text mode, without colour, without animation, without graphics,
without soft fonts, without any of that... but that runs with a
standard DOS mouse driver.

I specify these things because they are all attributes of the PGME
launcher that have caused me problems in testing.

2. It also provided a file manager. That was handy, but as I noted,
DOS has many of those. We don't need another.

3. It also had an edge over other DOS menu launchers: it did
task-switching, too. That was quite a big win but I was *NOT* at any
point arguing that FreeDOS needed that. I merely offered it as one
reason that, 30 years ago, I configured DOSshell on my customers'
machines.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com