On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 at 04:51, Rugxulo via Freedos-devel
<freedos-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> DJGPP v1 (circa 1994?) supported the Desqview/X SDK libs. But I never
> developed for (or used) DV/X.

Aha, OK.

I didn't even know it existed back then.

I suggest, though, that given that the subject is menuing app
launchers for FreeDOS, maybe leave programming languages out of the
discussion?

> I said "based upon ETH Zurich's Pascal P sources". It was a series of
> four. It was hard to find a good reference, but Gosling definitely had
> experience with some variation of the Pascal P-machine. ETH Zurich
> only did P1, P2, P3, P4. UCSD was based upon P2 with extensions. P5
> came much much later (late 2000s), derived from P4, from an American
> author and added all the other features of ISO 7185 for a "full"
> (classic) Pascal. Yes, Apple II borrowed from UCSD, but Lisa used
> (modified?) P4. (A quick search says they licensed a 68000 compiler
> from Silicon Valley Software based upon P4.)
>
> * https://www.standardpascal.org/PascalP.html

My word. I did a bit of digging. It is a complicated and confusing family.

Notably, the Wikipedia coverage is awful.

Therer are links to Pascal-P but they just point back to the Pascal
article which is no help at all.

This *badly* needs work and as you seem interested and invested in
this, I suggest you get in there and improve the coverage somewhat.

Notably there are aritcles on Object Pascal, Turbo Pascal, Virtual
Pascal and more, but no article on Pascal-P, none on the ISO standards
or anything.

I think step 1 is a clear family tree laying out the differences and
where they forked off one another.

Step 2 is clearly identifying which are active, maintained and used today.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com