Hello Jim,

As the rest suggested, I'd go for NASM too. It's plain and easy to get
ongoing. It was my favourite when I wrote a couple of ASM utilities like
APPEND.

The drawback is that once you get used to it,  you start reading assembly
written for MASM or TASM and you happen to find a different syntax in what
refers to memory indirection. And no matter if you think that NASM syntax
is more coherent (I do, or perhaps I do because I started with NASM), most
of the code out there follows the MASM/TASM syntax and you need to get used
to it.

Just adding my own experience,
Aitor