Willi Spiegl said in the meeting that there is no NLS in Edlin. I beg to differ!

There are two different ways of supporting NLS in Edlin. The first (easy) way
is that in the source code, all the message strings are in a file called
msgs.h, so by translating the strings, putting the translations in a msgs.h
file, and recompiling, you have a version of Edlin with translated strings.
When I discovered how the rest of FreeDOS was doing NLS, I put a small program
in the Edlin distribution called kit2msgs that translated a message catalog
into a msgs.h file with a minimum of fuss. So, to translate all the messages to
German, just download edlin.de from Github, add the three new missing messages,
use kit2msgs to translate that into a msgs.h file, and compile! WAY TOO EASY!

The second way was to read the message catalogs in real time. There's a file
called msgscats.h in the Edlin source that uses catgets to get the messages, so
using that as msgs.h and compiling in catgets.c should also work. This is a bag
on the side of Edlin, and to keep Edlin as small as possible, I don't recommend
this way, but it's doable. This needs more debugging, though. I tried to write
a version of catgets that follows the POSIX specifications and uses the same
format of files as FreeDOS and fits in with the string functionality that the
rest of Edlin uses, but I could use some feedback.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

Gregory (not George) Pietsch