Hello Richard,

C in general and Open Watcom in particular are good choices for DOS
programming. The other free options supporting more recent C versions are GCC
as part of DJGPP targeting 32-bit DPMI, and, despite being somewhat
experimental, IA16-GCC, a port of GCC for the DOS 16-bit real mode target.

Not exactly with examples, but for documentation specific to Open Watcom I
recommend their PDFs and / or the printed manuals. At least the Open Watcom C
Language Reference (it is basically ANSI C with some but not all features of
C99 and implementation specific addons) and the programmers guide would be a
good idea to have a look at after aquiring some knowledge of the C language.

https://openwatcom.org/ftp/manuals/current/

I created books from all their PDFs by myself. You may get them via Lulu for a
reasonable price (I make no money from it). Until now I only made the Language
Reference book public, but if someone is interested, I may make the other ones
available too.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/the-open-watcom-contributors-and-bernd-b%C3%B6ckmann/open-watcom-c-language-reference/paperback/product-vpjwd9.html?page=1&pageSize=4

Greetings, Bernd