On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:02:31 +0300 (MSK), Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

     This bug (probably) may be not in kernel itself, but in some code,
which calls kernel _and expects_ that _any_ (including 32-bit) register,
which not declared as "modified", will not be modified. Just hint: check if
in all external entry points to kernel preserved 32-bit registers, if you
compile kernel with support of 386.

No, the bug is in the kernel, because even if I change the HISTALLedHIGH program or the PC (hence the BIOS) on which it runs, the result is the same!

LG> thought it MIGHT for the future - anyway, not important!), it removes ALL
LG> initialisation code string functions from main.c, config.c, iprf.c and
LG> inithma.c, and intruduces a
LG> new file called ISTR.ASM that includes the already existing ASMSUPT.ASM

Good step. Such very well defined functions _should_ be written in asm.

Of course, the more so that there were already written! By the way, this permitted use of near functions for near stuff where previously far functions were used due to the lack of near such functions, which helped further size reduction (I've changed my CVSPATCH.TXT to reflect this too).

Good news! The venerable SoftICE 2.80 for DOS helped me out even without its back trace function! When the INSTALLedHIGH program gets loaded and DOS function 31h (keep process resident) is called, during this call it crashes! Specifically, when returning from 997D:27EE, it starts executing code consisting of... 9 consecutive zeroes at 997D:03E9! 997D is the INIT_TEXT segment. Now let me see the map... 27EE (from where it returns) is the RET at the end of DOINSTALL, and 3E9 is the place near the end of _FreeDOSmain which should contain a call of KERNEL, but it contains only ZEROES! So, somebody *wipes* the code while we're executing DOINSTALL - we have a kind of unintentional self-modifying code! The question is *who*, *where* and *when* does that! Again SoftICE will help.

As can be seen, I'm now very close to the discovery of the *real* cause of the bug! Stay tuned ;-)

Lucho

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now. Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel