Hi, please do turn off HTML in your mail program - use only plain text:

Especially when mailing to the list, everybody otherwise gets TWO copies
of the text (although only one mail, this is called "alternative" format),
one in text and one in HTML. The HTML version marks every single line of
text separately as being in Arial font etc.! If you use Outlook (which is
crappy) you probably have to disable HTML mail for different address book
entries separately or something.

Why did you use STACKS=9,256 - how about STACKS=0,0 ???
Interesting results... all caches 2 MB. LBAcache, SMARTDRV, SMARTDRV/WriteBack

a) 9 MB of cache misses: 75 / 84 / 78 / 81 seconds for
   none / LBAcache / SMARTDRV / S.D.W.B. respectively
b) copying 1.2 MB 10 times in a row: 69 / 79 / 49 / 81 seconds for
   the same candidates.

So on this SCSI 386sx 20 MHz (31 MB FAT16, FreeDOS 2035-FAT16, FreeCOM XMS
swap 12 MB RAM...) the overhead of cache misses for 2 MB cache size is
0.3 sec/MB smartdrv, 1 sec/MB LBAcache, 0.7 sec/MB smartdrv_with_writeback
and the overhead for cache hits is ... 2.5 sec/MB higher with writeback or
LBAcache than with plain SMARTDRV, strange! What does LBAcache STAT tell
after each test? And SMARTDRV statistics? I hope at they did have lots of
cache hits in the second test?
In what way did you copy the same file 10 times? From harddisk to ramdisk?
>From one directory to another one? I think for test b) you need a bigger
LBAcache for that, something like THREE megabytes. Please try that (both
LBAcache and the writeback feature of SMARTDRV store WRITTEN data in the
cache. Therefore if you copy 1.2 MB disk -> disk, BOTH the source file and
the target file will be stored in the cache!).

(Hm, why are we discussing this on -kernel? Feels more like -devel...!?)

Thanks for re-testing already ;-).

Eric

PS: If INTERLNK crashes FreeDOS, how about INTERSVR? And did it help to
- load no HIMEM / EMM386
- use no XMS swapping FreeCOM
- use no UMBs / do not load DOS to HMA
- ...?
You just wrote "various contents" for config sys - but to get started,
an as fail-safe as possible config would be better.

> Test 1: copy a specific group of files, about 9 MB
> No disk cache: 1:15
> LBACACHE 2 MB: 1:24
> SMARTDRV 2 MB: 1:18
> SMARTDRV WC 2 MB: 1:21
> Test 2: copy the same file 10 times, the file was about 1.2 MB
> No disk cache: 1:09
> LBACACHE 2 MB: 1:19
> SMARTDRV 2 MB: 0:49
> SMARTDRV WC 2 MB: 1:21
(WC = delayed write cache feature enabled)