From: Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:41:35 +0200 (MEST)
Subject: [Freedos-kernel] Re: FAT, Reiser, EXT2/3 and TCP/IP

Hi, I still disagree...

> I've taken a keen interest in embedded
> technology over the past few months. I have some ideas that I have been
> investigating over that period of time, what I have come to conclude
> thus far is that Linux/Unix, while a perfect choice for multiuser
> systems, is not well suited for what my needs and wants are in an
> embedded OS.

What is wrong with Linux here?

> would you still think that coding the TCP/IP stack into the
> kernel would not be worth while?

DOS programs which use the internet are usually LINKED TO a TCP/IP
stack. That means they have direct and exclusive access to the stack,
and moving the stack into the kernel will not improve anything at all.
Only for multitasking operating systems there would be a difference.

> I think we've all read about the Apache -vs- IIS
> debate for years. It is my understanding that Microsoft decided to build
> IIS into the kernel of their Windows 2003 Server. Performance wise, this
> gives IIS a tremendous boost over any other web server...

There are fast kernel-space web servers for Linux, too, just google for them.

> loaded FreeDOS on my old 366 MHz Compaq and it boots faster than any
> other computer I own.

My main Linux PC has been an 133 MHz one for years (secondary one being a
75 MHz at my parent's home), fast enough even as an mp3 streaming web server!
Plus you can install Linux versions with slimmed-down C libraries (libc / ...)
on computers with as little as 4-8 MB RAM. I myself have installed a very
normal (old SuSE) Linux on a PC with 16 MB RAM (1 MB of which was reserved as
VGA RAM) and even using the GUI worked.

So I see no point at all why you would want DOS on a turbo fast 400 MHz
embedded server! Remember that Linux is a native networking OS with multi-
tasking and multithreading, while DOS webservers like EzNOS only use limited
TCP/IP stacks (1 task, at most 3 connections at the same time). The WatTCP
and Watt32 stack libraries are probably better (they are free, but if you
want the handbook, you have to pay) - so try those if you still want DOS
network server programming. Advantage of Watt32 + DJGPP compiler is that
the libc of DJGPP (which is a clone of the Linux libc, and DJGPP itself is
a clone of gcc / gpp!!!) is able to use long file names directly (you need
to load the DOSLFN driver, though, or use the experimental kernel with
builtin LFN support).

Eric