My AwardBIOS here for example does have such a feature. However, when I look at the boot record of my second hard drive, I see again boot drive = 80.

Do you try to boot from second drive with this boot record (which contains 80h)? And it boots fine (without accessing first disk)?

Yes, of course.

So, BIOS probably swaps

Not probably - surely.

"Probably"?! In this case it not need to pass to boot code information about boot drive!

The BIOS Boot specification (http://www.phoenix.com/resources/specs-bbs101.pdf) warns that only 0 and 80h can be safely considered as boot devices, albeit it recommends (but doesn't require) that BIOS passes boot device in DL on Int 19h. The 0/80h limitation is due to the MS-DOS boot sectors, of course. So, whatever we decide, we should remove the FF kludge in any case. I already expressed my opinion - I agree with Jeremy and Eric that choice (2) is better for compatibility reasons.

"Will"? Do you mean, that currend FD boot record (with FFh mask) doesn't work when loading FD from second disk?!

It works until replaced by another boot sector that tries to boot off drive FF.