Hi!

13-Сен-2004 19:55 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luchezar Georgiev) wrote to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> This warning may be only because authors of tose spec may know about
>> existance of buggy BIOSes.
LG> No, they state several times that ONLY 0 AND 80 may be boot drives.

     Ok. What about boot managers?

>> No, not better. For example: if you use boot manager, which supports
LG> For this, an option of SYS will revert back to DL = boot drive

     Hm. Your arguments sounds reasonable. But I continue to _feel_, that
using BIOS info instead fixed value is better (except buggy BIOSes, which
pass wrong drive#).

>> Hm. Or you mean, that _some_ (non-FD!) SYS, which writes own boot
>> sector, by some strange/buggy reason will preserve FD's boot record
>> _field_ "drive number" (offset 0x24) and then its boot code will reuse
>> this field?
LG> Yes.
>> How this alien buggy SYS relates to our boot code and dependence from
>> BIOS info?
LG> I already explained. If it overwrites our boot sector, it won't boot.

     You _suggest_, that _some_ SYS (may) remain untouched 24h field when it
overwrite boot sector _and_ its boot code reuse this value? Or you know such
_known and usable_ SYS with such (strange!) behavior? If first, then we
shouldn't worry about this; if second, then, probably, we should force
bugfixing of those SYS.