Hello all,

I've put online a new bootdisk with which I, and you, can easily experiment. Download it from:
http://fdos.org/ripcord/beta9-final/test/testing.zip [274KB, 1.44MB unzipped]

just select option 1. Never mind the menu, just did not get rid of it, and thus you see bug 1.
I see some strange things happening.
1) the kernel version Lucho offers contains a 'time remainig' instead of 'time remaining'. Cosmetic bug (a signle 'n').
2) DISPLAY loads low (see MEM /C /P), while plenty of (UMB)memory is available, and being the FIRST driver loaded. very strange!
3) DISPLAY loads high and ATAPICDD/CDRCACHE load low, if removing the REM from MEM /C in the beginning of autoexec.bat
4) auto-loadhigh did not seem to work for CuteMouse and SHSUCDX. need to explicitly use LH.
5) MEM /C shows some strange empty thing eating almost all UMB-space, when KEYB partially fails to load (done by explicitly entering wrong codepage info, namely XUS instead of US)
6) As indicated, UDMA must not be loaded into UMB space due to a limitation in the great EMM386 driver.
7) CDRCACHE size may be indicated wrongly (or deprecated), but Eric knows best, I guess.

I finally got internet again, so after spending this afternoon reading about 300 emails I'm back again. time to continue some developments.
last freedos distro is also 6 months old. sorry guys, summer holidays :)

Hopefully this bootable diskette allows everyone to experiment and also see what a full-featured bootdisk looks like
(It has about all drivers loaded which FreeDOS provides).

can anyone confirm my experienced bugs [1..6] ?
below should probably have a DEL MEM_UMB.TXT between line 1 and line 2 but I forgot that.
also the DEVLOAD comment is wrong, should be UDMA (+DEVLOAD)

hope to get some feedback,
Bernd

@echo off
REM MEM /C > MEM_UMB.TXT
LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)
REM MEM /C >> MEM_UMB.TXT
rem DEVLOAD requires VDS-support for loading into UMBs by EMM386,
rem otherwise crashes the system
DEVLOAD /Q UDMA.SYS
DEVLOAD /H /Q ATAPICDD.SYS /D:FDCD0001
DEVLOAD /H /Q CDRCACHE.SYS FDCD0001 CDRCACH1 5

MODE CON CP PREP=((858) A:\EGA.CPX)
MODE CON CP SEL=858
LH SHSUCDX /D:CDRCACH1
LH CTMOUSE
LH keyb XUS,,A:\US.KL
MEM /C >> MEM_UMB.TXT

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: thawte's Crypto Challenge Vl Crack the code and win a Sony DCRHC40 MiniDV Digital Handycam Camcorder. More prizes in the weekly Lunch Hour Challenge. Sign up NOW http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;10740251;10262165;m _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel