On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

>      Yes, and then now may be reduced code duplication in asmsupt.asm (which
> generated both for transient and resident portion).

only for Borland C. For Watcom they are not duplicated (only one CS:
there). And anyway it's only a small amount of code.

>      Of course, initial efforts to implement are not very easy, but gain is
> noticeable. For example, with such relocation you will never encounter
> troubles, like was issued with RTL-multiplcation functions from OW.

That was a different problem. Watcom generated NEAR calls to these
functions. Relocation wouldn't help. This point is moot now with one CS,
and anyway I like our own versions better :)

> The more
> so, now they may be moved from low/nonrelocatable part (in kernel.asm) into
> resident part! (Do you remember, how I was try to move Borland's RTL
> functions into resident part and forget about relocations?)

Yes you could move these into the resident part if you do runtime
patching. But is it worth the effort for a secondary compiler?

I will not stop you trying to do this, but I see it as a waste of time
myself (other than an exercise in patching).

> >> PS: Bart, some time ago you decrease kernel by reordering object files. May
> >> you explain what was changed and how you find this?
> BO> Just reordered by placing more or less similar files close together (asm
> BO> close to asm, c close to c); that decreased entropy so compression
> BO> improved.
>
>      Only compression? I remeber something about reduced executable size,
> but without words about compression.

No it was only compression, how else can reordering save space? The trick
to reduce uncompressed executable size was only obtained using a
different default calling convention via #pragma.

Bart