Hi Bernd,
I did not invent quickboot, fdapm hotboot just calls int 19
(load boot sector and run it). To make that work in real life,
you would have to have all interrupt vectors "DOS free" at the
moment, or at least some int 19 handler would have to be hooked
by everything which hooks boot-relavant interrupt vectors. Most
DOS components do not do that, maybe Quarterdeck quickboot has
a sys driver which backups / restores values from early during
boot to make int 19 work.

Second point, reassign drive letters: You CAN steal drive letters
from existing drivers, then fiddle with the drive table and so
on, but I very much doubt that that would be useful. In the case
of mounting a freshly made partition, it would be easier to ADD
a drive letter in unused "drive letter space" with the described
ramdisk style driver instead of modifying existing drive letters.

Do not make things more complicated than they need to be.

Eric