Hi, Jeremy is right, FreeDOS boots in seconds, so it is best
to just reboot. Dynamic drive letter assignment is not what
DOS programs are used to cope with.

HOWEVER, useful aspects of "re-read partitions" would be:
- you can scan a PCMCIA disk after initializing the disk controller
- you can rescan a normal harddisk after loading an improved version
  of our UDMA2 driver, to gain access to the full disk even if the
  BIOS can only access the first 32, 64 or 128 Gigabytes.
- possibly other things :-).

About "you first partition, then reboot, then restore a diskimage,
then reboot, then edit the config, then reboot to Windows" in your
WinXP net installer system: You could avoid one or two steps by
using a tool which can copy the image to raw space / which reads
the partition table itself. I think this is quite normal for disk
image tools: You do not copy the image to a drive letter, you copy
it to a partition. So DOS'es drive letter system is not involved.
A second reboot might be saved by using a DOS version of the mtools
(known from Linux) to copy files to "unmounted" filesystems, e.g.
to the restored partition before it even has a drive letter. By the
way, WinXP should better use NTFS instead of FAT anyway. There are
tools like ntfs4dos to copy files to NTFS.

Eric