Kenneth J. Davis wrote:

for testing, a very similar patch, please try
http://www.fdos.org/kernel/test/kernel.boot.sys

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy and everyone:

Thanks, Jeremy!  This works for a HDD-formatted USB stick
(with MBR) at least on this Dell laptop!

I just used the HP USB Disk Storage Utility
(http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html),
nicely enough named SP27213.exe, to create a bootable
USB stick with FreeDOS.  If you point this utility to a directory
containing files kernel.sys and command.com, it installs a
FreeDOS boot sector on a USB stick and copies those two files
to the stick.   NOTE:  This utility sets the "hidden" and
"system" flags on the files.  To see them, try "attrib" instead
of "dir".

The nice things about this utility are:

1.  It runs from WindowsXP and appears to work with almost any USB stick
2.  It can install either a MSDOS or FreeDOS boot sector (controlled
by filenames io.sys/msdos.sys or kernel.sys in the source directory)
3.  It will format the USB stick AND create an MBR with a reasonable
partition table...,even on a "superfloppy" formatted USB stick.
4.  It copies the required system files (kernel.sys and command.com) to
the USB stick.  (It also "hides" these files.)
5.  It doesn't cost anything.

This Dell, at least, seems to prefer a USB-HDD formatted USB stick
over a "superfloppy" formatted stick.

It will be interesting to see if this provides a reliable way to
get a FreeDOS bootable USB stick!  I will try my other machine
("cursed compaq") when I get home.

If you have a floppyless machine, you definitely need  to use
the above-referenced kernel.

Mark Bailey