Hi Rugxulo, Robert, kernel people,

I finally figured out svn at home, so I updated three areas
of the stable "branch" of the FreeDOS kernel in svn. Actually
only UNSTABLE is a branch, stable is the default. Anyway.

The three changes vary a lot in complexity. Fixing language
glitches was easy. The keyboard trick is purely in config.c
and the documentation. The HLT thing was much harder, as two
new global items had to be introduced... The changes are:

1 fixed "Dutch plurals" at various places
2 added IDLEHALT config sys option (see below)
3 added KEYBUF config sys option (see below)

Bart, could you check my lsm / version / history changes and
add your changes to the history file? As "suggested" a while
ago, I added myself to the maintainer list in the lsm. Jeremy,
is that okay? Are there any volunteers to maintain the UNSTABLE
branch of the kernel? Rugxulo, KEYBUF should obsolete having a
"keyboard extender" around. Kernel people, IDLEHALT does not
obsolete FDAPM APMDOS but it gives you some energy-saving even
without FDAPM. I hope both can be used in parallel w/o problems.

Please check / test / comment! Thanks :-)

Sample kernel binary: www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/ke2007jul21.zip

Eric

1. This should make Robert happy. The kernel now produces messages
   as "UMBs unavailable!" instead of ("Dutch") "UMB's unavailable!"
   Dutch is the only language where "plural's" are correct, I think.

2. Usage: idlehalt=n
where n can be -1, 0, 1 or higher (default 0)
Activates built-in kernel energy saving functionality if n is
not 0. Value -1 enables all hooks, 1 enables only "safe" hooks,
CPU halted only if kernel is waiting for CON char device input.
Further hooks for n=-1 and n>0 depend on the kernel version...

3. Usage: keybuf=n[,m]
where n is in 0xac-0xde or 0x106-0x1de range and m is <= 0x200
Relocate keyboard buffer from the default location at
0x40:0x1e-0x3e to 0x40:n-m. The buffer must be more
than 32 bytes and must not touch offsets 0x100-0x105.
Default for m is "next multiple of 0x100 after n"....
A reasonably safe choice should be "keybuf=0x140,0x1c0".