On 7/21/07, Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Are there any volunteers to maintain the UNSTABLE
> branch of the kernel?

I was looking into merging parts of UNSTABLE a few months ago but it's
a lot of work since I don't like about half of the changes. And after
that I ran out of time, and still am, just now spending a spare hour
or two on FreeDOS. There are funny space savings in text strings just
so that Lucho could get the compressed kernel under 40K. I found one
bug in the inittext.c optimizations by Arkady. And so on.

Although the ioctl.c restructuring is good, most of the chario.c
savings also help. A lot more could be saved in initdisk.c by using
the fact that the sector size equals 512 (the DOS code cannot assume
that with ram disks etc, but the BIOS code needs to assume 512 because
the BIOS int13 does not support any other size AFAIK -- though I've
heard Aitor claiming some things about an old AT I do not understand
how that can work -- what BIOS interface to use to figure out that
sectors have 1024 bytes?).

External country.sys and more windows 3.x support never hurt.

Removing the internal country table makes things a little bit more
dependent (Tom's point of having the internal table is that you don't
need a country.sys file if all you want is the correct date-month-year
display). Of course the internal table is not good for the 40K aim.

Bart