Why not use all that effort to run FreeDOS over Linux? Dosemu works very
well...

It has already been done in the past, mas it was slackware based and as
soon as released had no mantainance, so it went dead.

*) you get all the drivers to run on any hardware
*) you can run multiple FreeDOS instances, it works very well
*) disk sharing works very well
*) networking via PacketDriver woks just fine, it may just be a bit
confusing to configure

and you can have background tasks in Linux for other tasks ans remote
access.

It would be just fine to make it over Ubuntu LTS, and I am willing to help.

PS: I have some legacy system runing in Dosemu and I use that regularly
for development

Alain