At 08:54 AM 2/15/2005 +0100, you wrote:

Hi,

I've posted the question below on newsgroup alt.os.free-dos and also received answers (really appreciated). However, I post it here also and provide some additional information and maybe I can come to a solution sooner with your help.

You said your problem was fixed? Fundamentally, you must make sure nothing else is using XMS between HIMEM loading and your application's XMS allocation. The COMMAND.COM which uses XMS swapping is an installation selection. It is, or was, called CMDXSWP.COM, although they may have changed that naming convention in the current installs. I assume that selecting the COMMAND.COM which does or does not use XMS swapping remains under user control. If not, then that would be a reportable bug or deficiency in the FreeDOS install.

For reference sake, here's my original answer on the newsgroup.

Don't load EMM386, or use the XMS swapping version of COMMAND.COM, or load any driver after HIMEM which uses XMS. XMS blocks are front-allocated. As a consequence, any initial allocation from XMS will move the following (your) allocations beyond the 0x110000 address. When I loaded only HIMEM.SYS here with FreeDOS basic COMMAND.COM, then XMS allocations did, indeed, begin at 0x110000.

I am unclear as to why an application would be written to require a fixed address allocation which is so open to change and variation, but that is a separate topic of opinion.

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-user mailing list Freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user