Hi Michael:

OK, I have done so.  The new version still reports version 2.04,
July 6, 2005, but is much larger!

I see no difference at all with that version, either with the
development kernel/command.com or the stable kernel/
command.com.

Specifically, with
device=a:\himem.exe
device=a:\emm386.exe x=test memcheck vds

vol c: hangs.  Remove vds, it works normally. (development)

With stable kernel, I get screenfulls of garbage I can't read
(no newlines) with VDS, normal operation without.

UDMA2 still appears to fix it!

I reported this before, but EMM386 reports the following:
 selected page frame e000 not available, searching automatically
 using PAGEFRAME e000:0000

That looks a bit odd...

Thanks very much for all of your help!

Mark Bailey