Hi,

I tried some rough tests today with BIOS, SCSI and TUNS. Here's are some results.

In an eariler post I said I'd seen drive sizes reported as 8Gb with SCSI when the drives are actually much bigger. I thought it was related to not using a SCSI driver and BIOS (INT13) reporting wrong size, and Eric said it wasn't. I think Eric is right, but my BIOS has been updated since I last seen this problem, so it's impossible to say what caused it.

I tested today, FreeDOS Beta9 SR1, but with updated HIMEM and EMM386, two physical SCSI drives of 36Gb each on Adaptec 29160N controller. SCSI BIOS has both INT13 support enabled, and also INT13 support for drives larger than 1Gb enabled. Asus AV333 motherboard, AMD Athlon 2100+

Test1 (this is really two tests):

Load FreeDOS with HIMEM only; first WITH SCSI driver, then WITHOUT SCSI driver.

Result1:

Drive size is reported correctly in both FDISK and PQMAGIC in both cases.

However, enter EMM386 and ALL BETS ARE OFF! I mean total meltdown, with both FDISK and PQMAGIC saying the drives were not partitioned and giving totally crazy readings for disk sizes. The EMM386 line was this:

DEVICE=SPECIAL\EMM386.EXE VDS NOEMS X=TEST /verbose

When I tried to load my SCSI driver after EMM386 and it just hung.

I then tested all the above with UMBPCI and everything worked perfectly.

Testing TUNS:

I now had a stable system, so decided to test loading LBACACHE high, both with and without TUNS.

If I don't have UMBPCI loaded, it's a bit silly because LBACACHE won't load high, and I don't know if TUNS makes any difference. Output was as follows:

DISK 0X80 HEADS 0255 SECTORS 0063
DISK 0X81 HEADS 0255 SECTORS 0063 [DONE]

I then tested with UMBPCI loaded, and told LBACACHE to INSTALLhigh without TUNS, it did exactly as it was told (checked mem /c /p), and there were no timeouts. It gave the exact same output

DISK 0X80 HEADS 0255 SECTORS 0063
DISK 0X81 HEADS 0255 SECTORS 0063 [DONE]

Here is my FDConfig.SYS file:

;device=special\fdxms.sys
DEVICE=DRIVER\HIMEM.EXE /NOABOVE16 /X
;DEVICE=SPECIAL\EMM386.EXE VDS NOEMS X=TEST /verbose
device=other\umbpci.sys

rem Load the SCSI for 29160N card
;device=other\aspi8u2.sys /d

rem UDMA hard drives
;DEVICE=DRIVER\UDMA2.SYS

DEVICEhigh=OTHER\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:FDCD0000

devicehigh=OTHER\ramdrive.sys 4096 512 1024 /e
;devicehigh=OTHER\ifshlp.sys

rem lbacache tuns switch is needed for SCSI and UMBPCI
INSTALLhigh=DRIVER\LBACACHE.COM
SHELL=COMMAND.COM A:\ /E:1024 /F /MSG /P=.\FREEDOS\FDAUTO.BAT

DOSDATA=UMB
DOS=high,UMB
FILES=20
BUFFERS=20