On Tue, 9 May 2006, Robert Riebisch wrote:

Yes. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/XMS.EXE

Just google a bit: deja vu:

http://freedos.sourceforge.net/freedos/news/press/2000-himem.txt

and the consensus was

"
... Therefore you cannot derive any rights from
it to change or modify it or re-use portions of it within FreeDOS tools.
"

note that the BSD license explicitly allows modification (provided that...) and nothing is written about that in the MS source code, just that the *specification* is in the public domain.

(BTW I don't think offending people really helps, and as far as Eric is concerned, I've never seen him doing it consciously (certainly no CAPITAL name calling like the posts here), but I have been annoyed by Eric's emails from time to time, simply because he did not do his homework (IMHO) and he could save a lot of people's time by spending time testing all the suggestions made instead of typing long emails -- but I think the right strategy is to not feel offended or take things personally but just to ignore, life is too short to worry about these things -- but anyway enough said about this).

Bart