----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Customizing Startup Files

Running US-Eng keyboard straight from BIOS (which is US anyways) sounds
like a good idea but I still can't get the right ALT key working. The
following approach didn't solve the problem either (kb2pre4.zip):

LH KEYB US,,C:\FDOS\BIN\KEYBOARD.SYS

Maybe it's because it's multimedia keyboard.

Lester,

Regarding Right-ALT, I brought up the same issue with FD Service Release 1.

The understanding I finally arrived at was that, though Right-ALT does not work in FreeDOS the same way it does in MS-DOS in a default US installation, this behavior is nonetheless by design.  It stems from special uses of Right-ALT in international keyboards, but special status for the key has been carried over into the design of the default behavior and apparently even into the US implementation of the keyboard BIOS extension.

I would still argue that the project's goal for a "100% MS-DOS compatible" operating system means that, for US users, Right-ALT should work the same as Left-ALT, but all-in-all, it is for me a second-level issue.

I follow with one of Eric Auer's replies to me from last year.

--John Hupp