Hi,

> Hi Japheth,
>
> Japheth escreveu:
>> Btw, in the name of how many people are you speaking exactly? And what do
>> you
>> regard as "well tested". Because, as for me, I seriously doubt that a
>> program
>> is "well tested" just because some dozens (or some hundreds? I have no idea
>> how big the FD user base is.) people boot FD with Himem, running their
>> favorite handfull of apps occationally and then switch back to windows/linux.
>
> Lots of tests were done by lots of people here in the list. I understand
> your point that lots of people can mean nothing... but those test were
> of many programs running in many platforms.
>
> Just to name one: there was one bug-for-bug fix that enabled BC31 to
> work, it was something about a register being 00h on exist of a certain
> call. The bug was by Borland, but the result is that now we can use one
> more impotant program that didn't work ;-)

AFAIR this was a DPMI issue, using int 31h, ax=0300h with register CX != ZERO
because the FD kernel returned CX > 0 in a DOS version call and MS-DOS
returned cx == 0. This issue is unrelated to Himem or Emm386. You should
provide a better example. :)

> I am not woried about parts that you fixed or rewrote, on the contrary,
> you have a reputaion of very good code quality. What I am woried is that
> some "compatibility fixes" could get lost.

> I am planning to make a FreeDOS distro as of my own ideas. I personaly
> never had problems with emm386 since Michael's last version but I would
> like to know which is more appropriate for a "general" distribution.

All I have to say is said already in the readme/history files. If you have
worries, and FD Emm386 works fine for you, then there is no reason to care
about Jemm.