Some general suggestions on help on dos.

For absolute beginners in any area of computers I have found that an
appropriate volumn of the "dummies" series - in this case "MSDOs for
Dummies" or "Dos for Dummies" really does get you started and I have seen
it listed on line as a used book for under one dollar.

One of the advantages of these books is that they are task organized so
you read the first chapter - then you look up the entry on the frustrating
thing that you are trying to figure out and you do not have to read the
whole book until you find the part that is about the current frustrating
thing.

another strategy i use when I have gotten into the subject at a level
beyond the "Dummies Book" level is to go to a big bookstore and look up
the frustrating thing in the index of a book about the subject and see if
the explaination works for my problem. I will look through several books
for the current problem and buy the one that does the best job answering
the problem.

in addition i have found that those big warehouse computer stores
frequently have the older editions of those $50 to $100 books  on sale for
$5 and if you are just starting on a program or OS you probably do not
need to know the latest cutting edge details right now - so go and buy the
$5 book. LAter on you can use if for a doorstop or paperweigth when you
have to buy the up to date version.

As a further resource the O'Reilly book publishers - who have a lot of
computer titles - have an online bookshelf called Safari

safari.oreilly.com

for around $20 a month it allows you online access to titles you
select. you can terminate the account or put it as inactive whenever you
want.

                       Bonnie Dalzell, MA
mail:5100 Hydes Rd ---- Hydes MD USA 21082-----EMAIL:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

freelance anatomist, vertebrate paleontologist, writer, illustrator, dog

Editor Net.Pet Online Animal Magazine  - http://www.netpetmagazine.com
HOME http://www.qis.net/~borzoi/          BUSINESS http://www.batw.com