[...]
> > If I had a FreeDOS PC that didn't have internet access, but I was able
> > to make a CDROM copy of http://..../1.1/updates/, then I could set my
> > FDUPDATE repo to point to a directory on the CDROM
>
> That is an interesting suggestion! My suggestions were more about
> updating a handful of packages manually, instead of updating all
> with some sort of patch cd. Yet a patch cd is 1. a nice idea and
> 2. can easily use long file names ;-). And of course 3. It would
> be easy to make a script (bash for Linux, batch for Windows) which
> effectively does "mmv \*-\*-\*.zip \#1.zip", in our example renames
> all downloads from choice-44-binary.zip to choice.zip ... After such
> a rename step, you have 100% short names even though you had long
> names on www, AND you can easily do this one-liner in DOS:
> (do cdd %dosdir% first...) "for %x in (x:*.zip) do unzip %x" :-).
>
> But as said, a patch cd with a 1:1 mirror of the www update
> repository is a nice idea, too. Yet I would absolutely want
> to avoid crippling filenames down to 8+3 just to be able to
> use such a patch cd without LFN driver, at the cost of making
> people unable to google for updated packages.

I guess I had assumed that there would be a set of web pages out there
that listed the updated packages that were available for download. We
can easily create that. I mentioned a few emails ago that I'd like to
convert the software list into a kind of database that happens to
output LSM and HTML (and XML). So I thought it was assumed there'd be
a page out there that you would easily find through Google that lists
the updates.

Example: if I wanted to download the Linux installer package (RPM) of
the AlephOne game, then I would Google for:

 Alephone RPM

And lo, the first result I see is an html page that tells me all about
AlephOne, the version, it's size, contents, ... including a list of
URLs to download it. We would have the same kind of searchable FreeDOS
pkg index, probably on the FreeDOS site, so users would easily be able
to Google for a package.

-jh