I think we've covered the important points so far in our discussion.
I've started to capture the thread in a new "changes to the software
list" document, using as much copy/paste from this discussion as
possible. That document can be the start of a spec for (a) what the
new software list will do & look like (including data output format,
etc.) and (b) what the FreeDOS updater will read.

Hope to have it done this afternoon if I can also work on it during
lunch. Will post it on www.freedos.org for general discussion.