Booting without emm386 will work, to make emm386 to work you need the
correct excludes X= or I= but don't ask me further.

After you got it running tell us how well Virtual PC works for your DOS
apps / DOS games, how good is the soundblaster / vga / vesa
implementation? Perhaps I've tested it in past but I do not remember.

-mr