On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 17:12 +0200, Mateusz Viste wrote:
> On Friday 03 April 2009 16:08, Michael Robinson wrote:
> > When I run fdupdate, it crashes with a 2 near fnodes error.
>
> Hi,
>
> Please define the crash. When exactly is it happening? When FDUPDATE is
> starting itself, or when it run wget to retrieve the repository list?
>
> That's a verry important information, as it will tell us wheter it's really a
> FDUPDATE crash, or wget...
> Does wget itself works fine (can you retrieve any file with it)?
>
> As for FDUPDATE, it's a very simple program written in FreeBASIC, there is no
> Network handlers at all, just the gui + the wget "sublauncher".
> Another test would consist of using the CURL handler instead of the wget's
> one. Obviously you will have to install CURL, and modify the FDUPDATE
> configuration file to tell it to use CURL instead of wget...
>
> > I wish I knew exactly what is causing the crash.
>
> Please give us the informations I asked for, it will be a good start :)
>
> Best regards,
> Mateusz Viste

I'm not certain about what is crashing.  Changing to curl makes no
difference at all.  This works on my Pentium 4, so I suspect there is
something specific to my 486 that is causing the problem.  I wish the
crash message was more descriptive.  A dump of the processor's registers
and more than 2 near fnodes does not tell me what crashed.  Did
command.com crash?  Was there an invalid memory reference because I
need to exclude a certain region and don't know about it?  If someone
else has a real DTK 486 DX2-66 that uses 30 pin memory, I'd appreciate
an attempt by them to reproduce this problem.  I have tried running
only fdapm, ne2000, mouse, DOSLFN, command, and system.  I still get
kernel panic, system halted.  I have 20 megs of ram, memtest says that
the memory is fine.  Could the order I have the chips plugged in in
be a problem?  Which bank needs to be 1 meg chips?