Oops, just sent an empty reply...

>> and more than 2 near fnodes does not tell me what crashed.

It might mean you use an old kernel which leaves
file handles open when access is aborted due to
an error...

I do not think your RAM config is a problem.

Maybe your copy of FDUPDATE or WGET is compiled
for Pentium CPU?

load EMM386, though. Serial port IRQ should not
be an issue, but you can try without CUTEMOUSE
if you think it makes a difference.

> MS DOS 6.22 has a tool that graphically shows a representation of
> memory, I think it was called msd.  Is there an equivalent for freedos?

There are various tools for that, a nice one
is Quarterdeck MFT Manifest which is now
freeware. Unfortunately I cannot find any
URL as Quarterdeck got bought by Symantec.

> My isa nic is a DE220PT in non pnp mode, has anyone
> had problems using these under freedos?

I think ISA network cards are harder to get
to run stable and harder to configure than
PCI network cards in DOS...

> Please note that ssh2dos works.

Nice :-)

> Every network application except for fdupdate seems to work okay.

Sounds like FDUPDATE has a problem with old CPU,
I wonder in which language it is written...

> What is an fnode?  What does a message that more
> than 2 near fnodes are opened mean?

F-Nodes store extra information about open files in
FreeDOS. There is a cache for the two most recently
used F-Nodes, so you get an error if you try to use
three F-Nodes at exactly the same moment. Maybe you
have a problem which left an F-Node dangling or you
have some software which tries to access files in
the background but fails to do so in compatible way
for example while the int 21 kernel handler is busy.

> Please someone, try fdupdate v0.54 on a real 486 with 30 pin memory,
> maybe you'll run into the same problem that I am having.

Rugxulo? :-)

Eric