> > uses much memory and is very slow (45s just to load on my computer).

Then you did something very wrong.

> DPMI host ??? Some faulty EMM386 ???
> For me it isn't slow at all :-) ... I didn't test the memory requirements :-|

Now I tested for you in BOCHS ( !!! 100x slower than natively !!! )
with 8 MiB RAM:

It WORKS VERY WELL, starts in 2 SECONDS, and can display a small BMP.

Also I know what you did wrong and how to fix:

DELETE CWSDPMI.EXE
DELETE C:\DOS\CWSDPMI.EXE
DELETE D:\DGJPP\BIN\CWSDPMI.EXE
DELETE D:\BLAH\CWSDPMI.EXE