As far as I can tell, the last commit in the SVN for the project was in
2007, so it's either abandoned, in hiatus, or going so slowly that no
commits have been pushed through in the last two years.
Remaking the FreeDOS kernel to be 32-bit might be rather significant, or
even to 64-bit, since we are starting to see quite a few 64-bit processors.
The only problem with a 64-bit FreeDOS kernel is figuring out how to deal
with 16-bit applications. I'd say the best option would be to add a
driver/module that would do the exact same thing as user-mode QEMU on Linux:
emulate a processor and load it in a hybrid environment.