> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:43:17 -0700, Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl> wrote:
>
> I don't know if it's easier or harder to do, but maybe best approach is
> twofold :
> 1) First 4GB handled traditionally for programs, ramdisks, diskcaches
>    etc.
> 2) Ramdisk driver that can handle all memory beyond 4GB and leaves
>    anything [below?] first 4GB completely alone.

This would work.   But, if we are to "cook up" a new scheme to handle
memory beyond 4-GB, why limit it only for RAMdisk usage?   If the XMS
drivers/handlers support such "large" memory, EVERYBODY could use it!

>> But, a much-LARGER "issue" here is "Do we really NEED all this?"!
>
> 6, 12 or 24GB RAM machines are becoming more common now with the Intel
> Core i7 platform (uses triple-channel memory, so 3 or 6 banks filled
> DIMMS, 2 or 4GB per DIMM).

Soon, we will need something like the Enterprise with a guy named "Data"
to hold and run such MONSTERS!   I must be in a minority:  I still think
an efficient computer CAN be achieved with only 4-GB!

> My use would mainly be
> 1) use up all RAM in my system in a useful way.
> 2) use RAM as temporary storage for all harddisk-affecting activities,
> mainly creating drive/disk/partition images, and write them to CD (up to
> 700MB) / DVD (4.7 or 8.5GB ) /Blu-ray (up to 50GB at the moment).

Can you not read up to 2-GB of new data, while simultaneously writing out
the PREVIOUS 2-GB of data??    I assume hard-disks are still a LOT faster
than writing to CD/DVD drives, so a simultaneous I-O program should work!
Or, are "simultaneous I-O" schemes no-longer taught at computer schools??
[No surprise if so -- No one "understands" UIDE's binary-search, either!]

>> It has been noted at many business schools that "80% of sales are
>> usually handled by only 20% of a company's inventory" -- the same
>> is likely true of today's "Gawd-AWFUL sized" computer files!
>
> See above. More a 'because it might be possible and would be a nice
> challenge' usage than anything entirely necessary.   If people are
> up to the challenge, have fun :)   If not, then nevermind.

Most remaining DOS users/programmers, including me, have little time
for "fun and games" in today's CRASHING world economy!    I would be
"up for the challenge" of working with Japheth and implementing some
sort of over-4GB XMS scheme which benefits ALL users of DOS systems,
IF as I noted before such a scheme is REALLY necessary.   But a "fun
and games" task, for only 1 highly-specific application like copying
a DVD/BluRay disk, is NOT the best use of my time!