Op 1-11-2009 10:38, Michael Robinson schreef:
> The newest kernel 2039 seems to fix a lot of problems.  Is there ongoing
> kernel development?
>
> What has to be updated still before Freedos 1.1 comes out?
>
> I occasionally see stuff get added to http://www.freedos.org, but the
> 1.1 release seems to be delayed.
>
> I see no reason why there couldn't be a 1.1 release followed by a 1.2
> release up to a 1.9 release.

What kind of updated FreeDOS distribution would you like to see then?
I'd prefer a full working updated one, for which I'm dreadful to work
on. Updating packages is laborous (anyone got some proper archiver
commandline switches to ease this?).
On top of that, the FDPKG and FDUPDATE programs are a mystery to me, I
still have no clue how each of them is supposed to work, let alone how
they work together and work with INSTALL/TEXTINST.
Then there's highlevel stuff like getting kernel compiling working
directly if Openwatcom is installed, getting HX Extender in a usable
shape, as well as things like Arachne..merely dumping them on harddisk
by an installer isn't enough.
On top of that I lost "fdos.org" account details for the 101st time
(sorry, Jeremy) both for FTP and the Wiki area. Blame me for enjoying
World of Warcraft I guess.
Also, i'm waiting for some techniques to mature or drivers to be
finished. The MEMDISK-ISO seems most promising, but requires the
ELTORITO.SYS driver in a working state (which I didn't have much luck
yet with lately). It should enable booting an ISO from a FAT partition
(into RAM), thereby eliminating the need for a cdrom-drive. Makes
development so much faster, think I'll put my DRAM-based SSD to work for
that (as long as it won't overheat). Right now I've changed the 360KB
floppy image of a FreeDOS 1.0 cdrom into a 1.44MB floppy image, and
added enough tools to allow downloading stuff from internet and
modifying the FreeDOS distribution, generating a new ISO from that and
burning it onto the same writeable (dvd-)disc. How I hate lack of ASPI
support for IDE drivers (which can be solved with a driver you can
download from internet but can't freely distribute..how ironic)!

As to people actually using FreeDOS (or any DOS for that matter)..you're
doing better than me or got more machines. Over all the years I've only
had time, space, and finances for 1 machine at a time..running Windows
with VMware on it for my DOS experiments/development.

I'm currently having a small break from WoW, tried to work on FreeDOS
today to kill time, but ran into VMware doing maintenance of their
website currently. That's not convenient when a beta of their
Workstation7 software has just expired and thus won't fire up anymore.
Oh well.
Someday a nice netbook-machine with DOS on it would be nice, though
without doubt I'd curse the lack of packetdrivers for whatever network
card that machine would have.

Bernd