On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Sol-Terrasa mkfs ext4 da' Sussex
<alex.bu...@munted.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 14:22 +0100, Liam Proven wrote
>
>> > Windows 3.1x for high resolution displays i.e. beyond 1280x1024 with 16
>> > million colours. Sadly I've had to abandon it due to lack of
>> > documentation and sources for existing device drivers.
>>
>> One problem with such things - and a few did exist, back in the day -
>> was Windows 3's resource limitations. It had a few 64K "heaps" for
>> holding Windows Resources, which includes icons, window decorations
>> (widgets) and internal data structures. The bigger the display, the
>> more resources needed; also, the higher the colour depth, the more
>> resources.
>
> *sigh* I'd forgotten about that 64k limitation. :(

There is a /reason/ why people dropped Windows 3 like a hot potato
once they had a better alternative!

To be honest, Windows 9x or NT 3 are far more interesting retro OSs to
play with now, which can do vastly more. The 32-bit transition was
/long/ overdue.

> But there still is a
> need for display drivers for WFWG users; there are a lot of new graphic
> hardware out there that have no display drivers available for WFWG.

It is a long-dead OS. I really don't think there is such a "need", no.
The fact that there are some usable  VESA drivers is enough, I think.

>> Result, on 1280x1024 in 16M colours, after displaying the desktop &
>> opening Program Manager, there sometimes wasn't enough memory left to
>> open any apps at all.
>>
>> So, really, from someone who was there and had to support the damned
>> thing, 17-18Y ago: you're not missing much. It looked impressive but
>> it was sod-all use.
>
> If that was a long time ago, dare I hope you might have some sample
> sources for me to look at? I still want to write graphic device drivers
> for WFWG.

I installed and supported many many such machines, but I was never a
developer, so no, I have no "sources", I'm afraid. My sources of
information, as a sysadmin, were magazines, not the Internet back
then. I was online, but there was no Web yet, so really it was just
email & Usenet. Usenet is still there & Google has the archives. :¬)

>> If you want to get a feel for Win3-era Windows on a big desktop, use
>> NT3. NT 3.51 was the last and best version & was a very good OS in its
>> way. It was fast, stable, lean & efficient, it supported whacking
>> great screens without issues, it ran most Win3 apps, it had a network
>> stack & TCP/IP support out of the box, supported VFAT with LFNs and
>> NTFS and OS/2's HPFS, and was generally a pleasure to work with. You
>> could run Netscape 4 32-bit on it, too, for a pretty good Internet &
>> Web experience - for 1995.
>
> I seem to remember there was once a port of NT 3.51 for Sun
> UltraSparcs. :)

An unofficial one which I think was never commercially released.
Officially, NT ran on MIPS, Alpha and later (and briefly) PowerPC as
well as x86-32.

Now, it is x86-32, x86-64 and IA64, but soon, IA64 will be dropped and
I suspect x86-32 will follow before too long. On the other hand, there
are consistent rumours about an ARM port, which I find hard to believe
but would be interesting...

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508