Hi all,

previously, as can be read below, Konstantyn sent me a description on
how the ukrainian keyboard layout should be, according to ukrainian
standard 2019-91.

Today, I received another message from him, stating that the layout he
had described was actually how he thinks it must be - therefore a
customization rather than an official standard. It is no problem.
Furthermore, today he asked for a key with the apostrophe and the
hryvnia sign, as available in the layout under Windows Vista. There was
only one key left for customization and it is the one which presents "\"
and "|". This leaves me with that:
1) The key at the left of <1> would present "ґ/Ґ";
2) The key at the right of <=> would present "'/₴".
However, I would just like to swap those keys, so that the customized
ukrainian layout as proposed by Konstantyn would resemble the Windows
Vista layout, therefore reducing an eventual learning curve to FreeDOS
newbies "coming from" Windows Vista (and probably Windows 7). Is that OK?

Escape: Yes, I would indeed appreciate close pictures present ukrainian
physical keyboards. I thank you in advance.

Escape, I have found, on the web, a picture of an ukrainian keyboard
which complies to the layout provided for Windows XP. It tells me, then,
that the layout on XP is not buggy; it seems, though, that it is a
software implementation from an american dealer. Nonetheless, if it
exists and it is american, perhaps it is used by ukrainian emigrés in
the USA and therefore it must be provided for FreeDOS. Please check this
link:
http://www.google.com.br/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://store.aramedia.com/shopimages/products/normal/kb-ukrainianblack.jpg&sa=X&ei=-Ki1TZfVBtDdgQfLo8DlBA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHLJhIUzszOlOzPQ6GuKTGQaGjdsA

The info on the physical layout released in the ukrainian market since
2000 is interesting and I thank you for that; however, in this case, I
cannot ignore any physical layouts - including those released prior to
2000. According to info I have, there are 2 (with slight differences
between them) and both present "`/+" at the left of <1> and all digits
are presented in the second layer (Shift). The only difference between
them is that one of them provides the ASCII quotation mark while the
other provides left- and right-pointing double angle quotation marks.

Konstantyn: the idea of creating russian codepages with the hryvnia sign
is that they be used in Ukraine. Regardless of the language, the
currency is the hryvnia. ;-)
Naturally, I've prepared the ukrainian keyboards also to be able to use
regular russian codepages. Important to mention is that, in what comes
to text in itself, the codepage is irrelevant. You can use codepage
63330 (russian cp866 + hryvnia) and send text to someone in Russia,
which will use either codepage 808 or 866 and still be able to read your
text. You can also use codepage 62565 (ukrainian cp1125 + hryvnia) and
send text to someone which is not even aware of the existence of that
codepage and (s)he will still be able to read your ukrainian text
accordingly.

Konstantyn, you asked me to include the hryvnia sign on RUSCII instead
of the international currency sign. Ok, I'll do that; furthermore, as I
had remembered what Escape told us while working on ukrainian
keyboards/codepages this weekend (that the ukrainian standard 2018-91
does not specify which glyphs should be available from codepoint FAh
onwards), I included the left- and right-pointing double angle quotation
marks («/») instead of the middle dot and the square root. According to
info I have, they are the preferred type of quotation marks in ukrainian
(and russian, by the way). They will be encoded this way: <AltGr> + <Б>
= "«" and <AltGr> + <Ю> = "»".

Henrique