Op 12-5-2011 16:13, James Collins schreef:
> I want to be able to use my cd/dvd drive on my MacBook pro laptop. I have the
> drivers for UIDE. I have read the readme file, but it is very technical. I
> could use some help loading the drivers.
>
> Do I have to edit my config.sys file? Do I put the drivers, that I downloaded
> on my c drive?
>
> I could use some help, my goal is to be able to access my cd/dvd drive on my
> mac while in freedos. Like I could put in a cd and then in freedos change to
> drive a or b or whatever letter is assigned the cd drive and access a cd in
> my MacBook pro cd drive.

simple really:
* add a line in CONFIG.SYS (or FDCONFIG.SYS, whichever you're using) as
follows: DEVICE=C:\FDOS\UIDE.SYS /D:FDCD0001
* add a line in AUTOEXEC.BAT as follows: C:\FDOS\SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001

Where exactly you add each line to each file is your own decision,
doesn't matter much. Make sure the FDCD0001 or whichever name you
choose, is equal for both UIDE and SHSUCDX
However as UIDE is also able to cache/buffer drives, it expects some XMS
memory provided by for example HIMEM.EXE. In effect:
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\UIDE.SYS /D:FDCD0001

However it might also be possible to disable the cache entirely, and
thus let UIDE work as a basic (CD) driver without requiring XMS memory
or XMS driver:
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\UIDE.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /N1 /N3 /B

Above things should work fine, if not let the mailing list know. Both
UIDE and SHSUCDX have many options and a lot of documentation if you'd
like to know more.
Ofcourse if your CD drive isn't presented in Virtualbox as being on an
SATA/IDE controller/port, UIDE won't be much help.