I'll try it and let you know.

Meanwhile, let me tell you that I'll need room for 142 strings.

I explain.

VISCII (Vietnamese Extended ASCII) comprehends all the set of 134
precomposed vietnamese accented letters. I made it available for FreeDOS
(along with the corresponding keyboard layout) a long time ago. It is
(as you can see) so huge that not only has VISCII no room for linedraw,
shade, block or those few mathematical characters common on most
codepages but it has to "invade" the lower half of the codepage (the
regular ASCII area) and redefine the glyphs which represent 6 less used
control characters in the range 00-1Fh. (Who said "less used" on those
old DOS days? The vietnamese did. It is not my call. I just followed
suit.) No foreign chars (from a vietnamese point-of-view) are present.

There is TCVN-5712, another vietnamese encoding. It includes
non-breaking space and the 5 combining diacritical marks used in
vietnamese (for those who use properly tailored vietnamese text editors
able to work with combining chars - or, nowadays, Mined), pushing 6
precomposed vietnamese accented letters to the 00-1Fh area.

Finally, there is VPS, yet another vietnamese encoding. It includes
non-breaking space, left and right single quotation marks and 5
non-vietnamese precomposed accented letters on the upper half of the
encoding, pushing 8 vietnamese precomposed accented letters to the
00-1Fh area. In total, regardless of being vietnamese or not (which is
irrelevant to this discussion), we have 142 characters which will need
to be represented through strings because (most of them) are composed of
3 bytes each (being above Unicode's codepoint 07FFh) and a few of them
are composed of 2 bytes each (above Unicode's codepoint 007Fh, below 0800h).

Henrique