On 01/26/2012 10:53 AM, Bob Cochran wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am pretty ignorant of how FreeDOS is used by the community as I am
> sure my previous posts show. I would like to build a better
> understanding of FreeDOS. What is it used for most commonly? I know it
> is an operating system, of course, but I don't know why it is used as an
> operating system compared to other operating system choices. I would
> like to understand the user base for FreeDOS better. Are there many
> users, or just a small base of users, or somewhere in between?

Hi Bob,
I have been writing human performance tests on PCs for about 25 years,
beginning with Apple IIe boxes, then moving to IBM PCs. FreeDOS is ideal
for this as the OS only does what you tell it to do, and never capers
off to do other tasks, thus allowing precise timing of events without
having external equipment. Recently I learned how to use the BIOS real
time clock interrupt to count time, and while taking a bit of learning
and programming, this has proven superior to reprogramming TIMER0 on the
825x timer chip. Program data is written to a text file that can be
processed by external utilities.

FreeDOS also allows me to take over the keyboard and pointer interrupts
so that I can capture data from these devices. By using batch files and
doing a little programming on the keyboard queue and Interapplication
Communication Area, I can allow the users to run sequences of tests that
require no operator input between tests.

The only other OS I would consider is Linux, using Real Time Linux to
run the tests (Windows is a disaster for timing). It would be more
convenient, as the users could use a GUI to run things instead of
complaining about selecting a batch file from a list. However, I would
have to port all the code (C) to Linux and set up RTL, a considerable
task. FreeDOS is still a viable option.

Jim