2012/3/28, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>:

> You do not have to explicitly program anything for this:
> Just run FDAPM APMDOS at some time, e.g. in your autoexec
> and then run FDAPM STATS to see how much of the time the
> CPU was idle - to be exact, which percentage of the time
> slices contained any idle time, so "idle-ness" is always
> over-estimated. Example:
>
> C:\>fdapm stats
> Performing action: STATS
> Found resident FDAPM / POWER driver version 1.0
> Savings mode: BIOS APM plus interrupt hooks (MAX setting)
>  CPU was idle 99% of the time

Thanks, it's worthy to know it - but...

> So just getting the answer to "how much of the time was
> the CPU idle since I loaded FDAPM" by typing a command
> at the prompt is very easy. But you say that you wanted
> to display real-time information about how busy you are
> inside your program.

...yes, that's the thing I'm looking for in this particular case.

> For that, you can add some queries
> to FDAPM to your app. A good example would be a game as
> Chess or Go: Sometimes you do heavy calculations, while
> at other times, your software just sits there and waits
> for the player to make the next move. You could display
> information about this as part of the game...
>
> If you want, you can also query the stats in your apps: [..]

Thanks: I'll start with your clues. Fortunately, every Forth has
assembler built-in.

> Maybe you could tell more about your project :-)

Well, this time it'll be just Forth programming exercise. DX-Forth has
BGI graphics driver, and I'm going - as "weekend fun project" - to
translate "Polyhedra" script ( http://wiki.tcl.tk/14283 ) from TCL
into Forth. Of course it has to be done smart way - not "mechanical",
direct translation. I'm curious, whether am I able to create s.c.
"good Forth code". ;)

Hope weekend will be enough for this.
--
Z.