Op 11-4-2012 21:33, Jack schreef:

> Send me a private E-Mail, and if XMGR can be modified so Syslinux and
> Isolinux do NOT "confuse" it, I will make such modifications in XMGR!

I'll try to figure out what's going on, however have much doubt that I'd
be skilled enough to actually find a root cause.

A web view of the Syslinux files is available at:

[
http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/master;hb=refs/heads/master

]

A 7MB zip-file of everything (contents uses long filenames!) :
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-4.05.zip

Behaviour I'm noticing:
* one A20 method if loading FreeDOS directly (bootsector, no syslinux)
* another one if loading FreeDOS from Syslinux (chainload bootsector)
* a 3rd one if going from Syslinux to MEMDISK to FreeDOS.

JEMMEX's way might be the most compatible.

A testing floppy would have the following:
[1] FreeDOS bootsector pointing to MetaKern bootloader file
[2] MetaKern bootloader including FreeDOS and Syslinux bootsectors
[3] FreeDOS kernel/shell/xmgr/config.sys/autoexec.bat
[4] ldlinux.bin (Syslinux)
[5] freedos.bss (FreeDOS bootsector) pointing to KERNEL.SYS
[6] memdisk (syslinux ramdisk driver)
[7] fdboot.img (tiny floppy image containing above partially)

with 3 boot test methods:
* 1 --> 2 --> 3 (pretty simple).
* 1 --> 2 --> 4 --> 3 (reasonably OK).
* 1 --> 2 --> 4 --> 6 --> 7 --> 3 (complex).

Bernd